The Asian Pacific Islander American (APIA) Biography Project began in AY 2012-13 under Lorraine Dong and Jeannie Woo, professors of Asian American Studies at San Francisco State University. It was inspired by a 2010 publication entitled Crossing Boundaries: Asian and Pacific Islander Americans, written by Irene Dea Collier and Lora Meilin Collier, illustrated by Janine Macbeth and published by The Association of Chinese Teachers (TACT).
In this project, AAS faculty and students at San Francisco State University volunteer to develop APIA biographies, curricular activities and resources. The mission of the APIA Biography Project includes educating the general public about API America with an annual APIA Heritage Month Celebration at the San Francisco Main Public Library and a resource website created especially for K-12 students and teachers.
All works originate mainly from AAS 512 (Asian American Children's/Adolescent Literature), a Community Service Learning (CSL)-designated class, where students serve the community by sharing their research in a format for children and young adults. Subjects of study are chosen by the students and are not meant to be totally representative or inclusive. The APIA Biography Project website is the result of their findings, artwork and creativity.
Lorraine Dong, PhD
Jeannie Woo, MA
Read more about the APIA Biography Project by Jerry Dear
The document on this webpage might not be fully accessible to persons with disabilities. We are working to fix these accessibility barriers by May 2022. If you experience difficulty in accessing this content, please contact email@example.com and we will provide you with accessible alternatives.
APIA Biography Project
Asian American Studies Department, San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Avenue, EP 103
San Francisco, CA 94132
2022-23 APIA Planning Committee
- Lorraine Dong (SFSU; Square & Circle Club), Project Co-Director
- Jeannie Woo (SFSU), Project Co-Director
- Nolan-Kyle Sumala (Square & Circle Club), Website Manager
- Joyce D. Bantugan (Square & Circle Club Intern)
- Nick Bartel (TACT Curriculum Committee)
- Jerry Dear (SF Main Public Library)
- Emily Salcido (Square & Circle Club)
- Michelle Lee (SFSU; Square & Circle Club Intern)
- Anita Wu (TACT Curriculum Committee)
Main Ongoing Sponsors
- Asian American Studies Department, San Francisco State University
- The Association of Chinese Teachers (TACT)
- Square and Circle Club
- San Francisco Main Public Library
APIA logo created by Katie Quan (2021)